This two-day course is designed to provide basic instruction in topographic map reading, compass use, and navigation over varied terrain. No previous compass use or land navigation experience is required to attend this course.
The course will culminate in the practical application of navigational skills that will increase your confidence and enable you to use your compass and map to navigate across all types of terrain.
This class is designed for mature learners. It is suggested students are at least 14 years of age to attend this course.
- How to read a topographic map
- Determine location using UTM grid coordinates
- Determine direction and distance on the map
- Use a compass to determine the direction
- Determine distance while hiking
- Identify terrain features
- Locate an unknown point by triangulation
- Hiking style clothing and a small backpack
- Sturdy hiking style boots or shoes
- Water and snacks
- Notebook and writing instrument
***Participants must be physically prepared to walk several miles of wooded forest
***Maps and Compass provided.